Installing new features with the update manager
To locate and install a new feature into a product (ordinarily requires web
- Open the Install Wizard by clicking
Help > Software Updates > Find and Install...
This opens the wizard.
- Select the second button, "Search for new features to install" and
- Create a bookmark for an update site where Eclipse features and plug-ins
are published. In the sites to search list, select Add Update Site to
add a remote site, or Add Local Site if the site is available on a local drive
(including a CD), or Add Archived Site, when the site is available locally
but is packaged as a jar or zip file.
- In the add site dialog, give the site a name such as
"CompanyA" and enter the URL such as
- After adding the site, expand it to the
categories of feature versions available at that update site. This will
contact the web site to discover what features are available.
- Select the categories you want to search and click Next.
- Wait for the search to finish and selecting the features to be added. You
can view the description or more detailed properties for any feature by
selecting the feature and pressing the "Properties" button.
- Once you're decided which features to install, click Next.
- Carefully review the license agreements for the features. If the
terms of all these licenses are acceptable, check "I accept the terms
in the license agreements". Do not proceed to download the features if
the license terms are not acceptable.
- If a feature selected for install include optional features, a page will
show up allowing you to select whether you want them installed or not.
Optional features typically carry functionality that is not essential for
proper functioning of the main feature.
- The Install Location page controls where the new feature's files are to be
installed on the local computer. Select the directory into which the product
is installed and hit Next. (If the product is installed in a
directory to which you do not have write access, you should contact your
system administrator and get them to install this feature so that it will be
generally available. The other option is to click Add and point to a
directory to which you do have write access.
Feature versions can be digitally signed by the company that provides
them. This allows you to verify more easily that the features and
plug-ins that are about to be downloaded and installed are coming from a
Warning: Because of the possibility of harmful or even
malicious plug-ins, you should only download features from parties that
Click Install to allow the downloading and installing
- Once the new feature and plug-ins have been downloaded successfully and
their files installed into the product on the local computer, a new
configuration that incorporates these features and plug-ins will be
formulated. Click Yes when asked to exit and restart the workbench for the
changes to take effect. To add other new features at the same time before
restarting, click No and repeat. If this was a new feature and can be
dynamically installed into the current configuration, you will also be
presented with a "Apply Now" button. This will not restart the
platform, but configures the feature and the plug-ins into the current
Using the classic update manager
Inspecting the current configuration
Updating features with the update manager
Restoring a saved configuration