Creating Web services with the Apache Axis2 runtime environments
This runtime environment is for users who prefer to develop for
the open Apache Axis platform. Both Axis1 and Axis2 are supported by the Web
Apache Axis2 Overview
Axis2 evolved from the Apache
Axis1.x architecture and is more flexible, configurable, and efficient, while
retaining the positive aspects of Apache Axis1.x architecture.
service tools provided with this product support the following specifications
when creating Apache Axis2 Web services and clients:
- SOAP 1.1 and 1.2
- WSDL 1.1, including both SOAP and HTTP bindings
- HTTP transports
The levels of Axis2 currently supported by the tools is 1.2 and 1.3.
Axis2 can be deployed to any server that supports Java™ Servlet 2.2 specification or higher,
Server 6.1, and Apache Tomcat server. For more information on Axis2, refer
support for Apache Axis2 is limited to validation that the application is
invoking the Axis2 emitters correctly. Support for other Axis2 issues should
be directed to
Installing the Apache Axis2 runtime
Web services in the Apache Axis1.x runtime, before creating a Web service
using Apache Axis2 you must download the Axis2 runtime and install it the
workbench using the Web services Axis2 preferences page.
- Download Apache Axis2 v1.2 or v1.3 from the following site:
- Follow the instructions in the appropriate Apache Axis2 installation guide:
- Once the Apache Axis2 runtime is installed, you need to associate it with
the workbench. In the workbench, open Axis2 Runtime tab,
browse to the location where you installed Apache Axis2. A message will display
if the runtime is installed successfully.
. On the
Creating projects for Axis2 Web services
service wizards will automatically add the correct facets to a dynamic Web
project. However if you want to manually create a dynamic Web project enabled
for Axis2 Web service development complete the following:
- Create the service Web project by clicking File > New > Project
> Dynamic Web project. Enter the following information:
- Project Name: Type a project name
- If you are deploying to a Tomcat server, ensure that Add project
to an EAR is not selected. If you do not clear this checkbox you
will be unable to select the Tomcat server. If you are deploying to WebSphere Application
server you will need to add the project to an EAR.
- Target runtime: Select the version of the server to which you will deploy
your Web service. If it is not listed, click New and
browse to the location where it is installed.
- Configurations: Select the default configuration for your server type.
- Click Finish.
- Add the Axis2 facet. Right-click your project and click Finish.
- If you have chosen to deploy to a server in which the Axis2 JAR files
will reside on the server (such as WebSphere Application Server), you must
change the classloading for the EAR from PARENT_FIRST to PARENT_LAST. Expand
the EAR associated with your Axis2 project, and launch its deployment descriptor.
On the Deployment tab, expand the Application section.
Change the Classloader mode field to PARENT_LAST and
save your changes.