Open the Styles and Formatting window (press F11) and click the second button in the top bar
. The list of available character styles is displayed. To apply a character style, follow these steps:
- Select the block of text where you wish to apply the style.
- Double-click the appropriate character style in the Styles and Formatting window.
Some examples include:
This example uses the OOo-supplied Strong Emphasis character style for the word "Definition".
Definition: A statement describing the meaning of a word or phrase.
|| One difference between character styles and paragraph styles is the need for selecting text (highlighting). Character styles require you to select the text you want to apply them to; paragraph styles do not.
Unset/undo character styles
Sometimes, you will want to remove the formatting from a block of text. You must resist the temptation to do this manually. This will only cause trouble down the road. There are three easy ways to remove character formatting:
- Select the block of text and right-click and choose Default Formatting.
- If you have the Styles and Formatting window open, select the block of text and double-click the Default character style.
- Select the block of text, then press Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar.
|| The first method also works for removing manual formatting.