Deploying the infocenter as a Web Archive
Using Eclipse 3.4 or later it is possible to configure the help plugins to be deployed
as a web archive (war file) which will act as a fully
functioning infocenter. The instructions below assume a Tomcat server has been
installed, but with minor modifications
these steps should work for any full featured server.
In your Eclipse installation locate the plugin org.eclipse.help.webapp.<version>.jar
and copy it to a temporary directory,
unzip the copy into that folder.
- In the webapp plugin locate the web-archive directory and underneath that
there will be two directories titled "help" and
- Import the org.eclipse.help.infocenter-feature using File->Import->Existing
- Export org.eclipse.help.infocenter-feature as a deployable feature and set
the destination to be
web-archive/help/WEB-INF/eclipse in the area where org.eclipse.help.webapp.<version>.jar
- Add some documentation plugins to the webapps/help/WEB-INF/eclipse/plugins
- Download org.eclipse.equinox.http.servletbridge_<version>.jar and
org.eclipse.equinox.servletbridge_<version>.jar from the
equinox download site.
Select a version of Equinox that matches the version of Eclipse you are
running to take you to the downloads page.
- Extract servletbridge.jar from org.eclipse.equinox.servletbridge_<version>.jar.
- Add the file servletbridge.jar to the help/WEB-INF/lib directory. You may
need to create this directory.
- Add the file org.eclipse.equinox.http.servletbridge_<version>.jar to the
- At this stage you can create a war file from the help directory or you can
copy the directory and its contents to the webapps
folder of your Tomcat installation.
- For Tomcat only. In conf/server.xml add URIEncoding="UTF-8" to the connector element, for example
<Connector port="8080" URIEncoding="UTF-8" etc.> If this step is not performed
search will fail if the search term contains non ASCII characters.
- Start Tomcat and see the help system start up.
Notes: If you look in the config.ini in the help.war file under directory help/WEB_INF/eclipse/configuration
you will notice the
line eclipse.product=org.eclipse.productname. If your product has help system
customizations in a product plugin you can
activate these by changing this line to point to your product plugin.