29.13.1 The Data Structure that Describes a User
The functions and data structures for accessing the system user database
are declared in the header file pwd.h.
— Data Type: struct passwd
passwd data structure is used to hold information about
entries in the system user data base. It has at least the following members:
- The user's login name.
- The encrypted password string.
- The user ID number.
- The user's default group ID number.
- A string typically containing the user's real name, and possibly other
information such as a phone number.
- The user's home directory, or initial working directory. This might be
a null pointer, in which case the interpretation is system-dependent.
- The user's default shell, or the initial program run when the user logs in.
This might be a null pointer, indicating that the system default should