bind function assigns an address to the socket
socket. The addr and length arguments specify the
address; the detailed format of the address depends on the namespace.
The first part of the address is always the format designator, which
specifies a namespace, and says that the address is in the format of
The return value is
0 on success and
-1 on failure. The
errno error conditions are defined for this function:
- The socket argument is not a valid file descriptor.
- The descriptor socket is not a socket.
- The specified address is not available on this machine.
- Some other socket is already using the specified address.
- The socket socket already has an address.
- You do not have permission to access the requested address. (In the
Internet domain, only the super-user is allowed to specify a port number
in the range 0 through
IPPORT_RESERVED minus one; see
Additional conditions may be possible depending on the particular namespace
of the socket.