Formatting the bibliography involves choices made in two places:
To create the bibliography:
- Place the cursor at the point where you wish to insert the bibliography.
- Select Insert > Indexes and tables > Indexes and tables and change the Type to Bibliography, to see a dialog box similar to that shown below.
Inserting a bibliography.
The Insert Index/Table dialog box has five pages.
Using the Index/Table page
The basic settings are selected on this page.
- To give the bibliography a title, enter it in the Title field. (A title is not required.)
- You can protect the bibliography from being changed accidentally, by checking the Protected against manual changes checkbox. If this box is checked, the bibliography can only be changed using the context menu or the Insert Table/Index dialog. If the box is not checked, the bibliography can be changed directly on the document page, just like other text.
- To have the bibliographic entries numbered within the body of the document (for example, , , ...), select Number entries. If, however, you wish to have the field Identifier (from the database) appear in the document, clear this checkbox.
- Select the type of brackets that you want for the referenced entries shown within the body of the document.
- Define the sorting you require. Currently only alphanumeric sorting is supported. Sorting by the sequence that entries appear in the text is done on the Entries page.
Using the Entries page
The structure of this page is similar to that of the previous sections.
Entries page for bibliographies.
You can define how the entry will appear based on the Type of the entry, or simply apply the same format to all entries by selecting the All button.
The Structure of the entry is based on the fields available in the bibliographic database. The ones shown by default are:
- Au – Author
- Ti – Title
- Ye - Year
To determine how entries are sorted, modify the Sort by options. To sort by the sequence that entries appear in the text, choose Document position. To sort alphanumerically, choose Content. Use Sort keys to group similar references.
Using the Styles, Columns and Background pages
Using the Styles, Columns, and Background pages.
Generating the bibliography
To generate the bibliography so that it appears in your document, click OK. The Insert Index/Table dialog box closes and the bibliography appears in your document.