Creating a template from a document
To create a template from a document:
- Open a new or existing document you want to make into a template.
- Add the content and styles that you want.
- From the main menu, choose File > Templates > Save. The Templates dialog box opens.
- In the New template field, type a name for the new template.
- In the Categories list, select the category to which you want to assign the template. (The category is simply the template folder in which you want to save the template. For example, to save the template in the “My Templates” folder, click the My Templates category.) To learn more about template folders, see
- Click OK to save the new template.
Saving a new template.
Any settings that can be added to or modified in a document can be saved in a template. For example, below are some of the settings (although not a full list) that can be included in a Writer document and then saved as a template for later use:
- Printer settings: which printer, single-sided or double-sided, paper size, and so on.
- Styles to be used, including character, page, frame, numbering, and paragraph styles.
- Format and settings regarding indexes, tables, bibliographies, table of contents.