Form control formatting options
You can customize the way form controls look and behave in a number of ways. These are all accessed in Design mode. Right-click on the form control, select Control from the pop-up menu and select the General tab in the Properties dialog box.
- Set a label for the control in the Label field. Some form controls, such as push buttons and option buttons, have visible labels that can be set. Others, such as text boxes, do not.
- Set whether the form control will print out if the document is printed with the Print option.
- Use the Font setting to set the font, typeface and size for a field.
- For a text box, you can set the maximum text length. This is very useful when adding records into a database. Every database text field has a maximum length and, if the data entered is too long, OOo displays an error message. By setting the maximum text length of the form control to be the same as that of the database field, this error can be avoided.
- You can set the default option for a form control. By default, a control is blank, or has every option unselected. You can set the control to start with a particular option or list item selected.
- For controls where a password is being entered, setting the Password character (for example to *) displays only that character, but saves what the user really types.
- You can add additional information and help text for a form control.
- Other formatting controls such as background color, 3-D look, text formatting, scroll bars and borders allow you to further define how the control appears.