Using the Presentation Wizard
You can start Impress in several ways:
- From the system menu or the OpenOffice.org Quickstarter. Details vary with your operating system; see the Getting Started guide if you need more information.
- From any open component of OOo, click the triangle to the right of the New icon on the main toolbar and select Presentation from the drop-down menu.
Opening the presentation wizard
- From any open component of OOo, choose File > New > Presentation.
When you start Impress, the Presentation Wizard appears.
Using the Presentation Wizard to choose the type of presentation
||If you do not want the wizard to start every time you start Impress, select the Do not show this wizard again checkbox.
||Leave the Preview checkbox selected, so templates, slide designs, and slide transitions appear in the preview box as you choose them.
- Select Empty presentation under Type. It creates a presentation from scratch.
||From template uses a template design already created as the basis for a new presentation. The wizard changes to show a list of available templates. Choose the template you want. More details can be found in Chapter 2.
Open existing presentation continues work on a previously created presentation. The wizard changes to show a list of existing presentations, from which you can choose the one you want.
- Click Next. The Presentation Wizard step 2 appears. The figure below shows the Wizard as it appears if you selected Empty presentation at step 1. If you selected From template, an example slide is shown in the Preview box.
- Choose a design under Select a slide design. The slide design section gives you two main choices: Presentation Backgrounds and Presentations. Each one has a list of choices for slide designs. If you want to use one of these other than <Original>, click it to select it.
Impress provides about 25 types of Presentation Backgrounds that you can select from the list shown in the figure below. <Original> is an empty background. You can also select among three predefined Presentations: <Original>, Introducing a New Product, and Recommendation of a Strategy.
Selecting a slide design using the Presentation Wizard
To start with a blank presentation select <Original>. Click an item to see a preview of the slide design in the Preview window.
||Introducing a New Product and Recommendation of a Strategy are pre-packaged presentation templates. They can be used to create a presentation by choosing From template in the first step.
Select how the presentation will be used under Select an output medium. Generally, presentations are created for computer screen display, so you would select Screen.
Click Next. The Presentation Wizard step 3 appears.
Selecting a slide transition effect
In this step you can choose the desired slide transition from the Effect drop-down menu. Select the desired speed for the transition between the different slides in the presentation from the Speed drop-down menu. Medium is a good choice for now.
Click Create. A new presentation is created.
|| You might want to accept the default values for both Effect and Speed unless you are skilled at doing this. Both of these values can be changed later while working with Slide transitions and animations. These two are explained in more detail in Chapter 9 (Slide Shows).
|| If you selected From template on step 1 of the Wizard, the Next button will be active on step 3 and other pages will be available.