The following checklist can help track down your problem. Please try to use if before posting to the list, or in the rare circumstances of reporting a bug.
- Use the slaptest tool to verify configurations before starting slapd
- Verify that slapd is listening to the specified port(s) (389 and 636, generally) before trying the ldapsearch
- Can you issue an ldapsearch?
- If not, have you enabled complex ACLs without fully understanding them?
- Do you have a system wide LDAP setting pointing to the wrong LDAP Directory?
- Are you using TLS?
- Have your certificates expired?