The following is a full list of prerequisites. Items marked `' are
required by the xend control tools, and hence required if you want to
run more than one virtual machine; items marked `*' are only required
if you wish to build from source.
- A working Linux distribution using the GRUB bootloader and running
on a P6-class or newer CPU.
- The iproute2 package.
- The Linux bridge-utils2.1 (e.g., /sbin/brctl)
- The Linux hotplug system2.2 (e.g.,
/sbin/hotplug and related scripts). On newer distributions,
this is included alongside the Linux udev system2.3.
- Build tools (gcc v3.2.x or v3.3.x, binutils, GNU make).
- Development installation of zlib (e.g., zlib-dev).
- Development installation of Python v2.2 or later (e.g., python-dev).
- LATEX and transfig are required to build the
Once you have satisfied these prerequisites, you can now install either
a binary or source distribution of Xen.