Equation numbering is one of OOoMath's best hidden features. The steps are simple, but obscure:
- Start a new line.
- Type “fn" and then press F3.
The “fn" is replaced by a numbered formula:
- E = mc2 (2)
Now you can double-click on the formula to edit it. For example, here is the Riemann Zeta function:
You can reference an equation (“as shown in Equation (2)") with these steps:
- Insert > Cross-reference..
- Click on the References tab (Figure 15).
- Under Type, select Text.
- Under Selection, pick the equation number.
- Under Format, choose Reference.
- Click Insert.
Done! If you later add more equations to the paper before the referenced equation, all the equations will automatically renumber and the cross-references will update.
||To insert the equation number without parenthesis around it, choose Numbering under Format instead of Reference.