This is Chapter 3 of the OpenOffice.org 3 Writer Guide, produced by the
A PDF of this chapter is available from
Documentation at OpenOffice.org.
This chapter covers the basics of working with text in Writer, the word-processing component of OpenOffice.org (OOo). It assumes that you are familiar with the use of a mouse and keyboard and that you have read about Writer's menus and toolbars and other topics covered in
Chapter 1 (Introducing Writer).
We recommend that you also follow the suggestions in
Chapter 2 (Setting up Writer), about displaying formatting aids such as end-of-paragraph marks and selecting other setup options.
When you have read this chapter, you should know how to:
- Select, cut, copy, paste, and move text
- Find and replace text
- Insert special characters
- Format paragraphs and characters
- Create numbered or bulleted lists
- Check spelling, use the thesaurus, and choose hyphenation options
- Use the autocorrection, word completion, autotext, and line numbering features
- Track changes, undo and redo changes, and insert notes
- Link to other parts of a document