To insert a cross-reference to a heading, figure, or other item shown on the Cross-references page:
- In your document, place the cursor where you want the cross-reference to appear.
- If the Fields dialog box is not open, click Insert > Cross Reference. On the Cross-references page, in the Type list, click the type of item you are referencing (for example, Heading or Figure).
- You can leave this page open while you insert many cross-references.
- Click on the required item in the Selection list, which shows both automatically created entries (for example Headings) as well as user-defined references (for example bookmarks).
- In the Insert reference to list, choose the type of reference required. The choices vary with the item being referenced.
- For headings, usually you will choose Reference (to insert the full text of the heading) or Page (to insert the number of the page the heading is on).
- For figures, you will usually choose Category and Number (to insert the word “Figure” and its number), Reference (to insert the word “Figure” with its number and the full text of the caption), Page (to insert the number of the page the figure is on), or Numbering (to insert only the figure number).
- Click Insert.
For a full list of the reference formats available, and their use, consult the application Help.